Title: Head Grower
Job Type: Full time, permanent
Wage: $80,000 to $110,000 per year depending on experience
Company: Whole Leaf Inc.
Business Address: 2941 Portage Avenue, Saskatoon, 57J 3S6
Job location: 92944 Rural Route 195, Coaldale Alberta
Contact Information: HR@Wholeleaf.ca
Start Date: February 20, 2017
Whole leaf is looking for a Head Grower to lead a team to manage a 5 acre state-of-the art, lettuce greenhouse near Lethbridge, Alberta. The Head Grower will assist in daily operations and all aspects of planning, execution, and management; oversee and manage grow and harvest personnel; and support the Chief Operating Officer in all warehouse business tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage a large-scale, production facility with a wide array of supplemental lighting.
• Perform/supervise all required duties in the Grow and Harvesting areas, including Food Safety and OHS, and all areas of production including : planting, transplanting, feeding plants, foliar and preventative spray, IPM, trimming, harvesting, packaging, storage and inventory management and waste disposal.
• Continue to develop an extensive knowledge base of successful Integrated Pest Management (IPM) strategies.
• Develop, implement and modify our existing, robust cultivation and harvest SOPs, and nutrient regiments, in hydroponic gutter systems for the optimal food-safe production.
• Operate heavy and light horticultural equipment and machinery.
• Develop methods for reducing costs while optimizing production.
• Maintain a clean and organized work environment.
• Implement and oversee water, media, and solution sampling and testing procedures.
• Adhere to industry standards and waste disposal procedures set forth by regulatory agencies.
• Aid in oversight of the completion of operations in timely and efficient manner.
• Quantify and qualify data regularly, while following SOP and company policies and procedures.
• Lead by example and assist with planting, irrigation, mildew control, pest control, cultural management, plant health and maturity observations, and harvesting.
• Maintain accurate daily activity records and operation logs as directed using designated software and tools.
• Inspect crops and prepare reports and pre-harvest estimates for all crops.
• Insect detection, identification techniques, and general crop scouting.
• Oversee cleanliness and organization of all equipment present within the facility and warehouse.
• Coordinate and execute growing operations efficiently and on time.
• Communicate effectively with supervisors, contractors, and employees.
• Contribute to a fun, team-oriented, and challenging work environment in an innovative and pioneering atmosphere.
• Contribute and improve upon already-existing operations and processes to improve work-flow, efficiency, and provide constructive feedback and recommendations.
• Comply with all HR policies, including confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements.
• Facility maintenance and trouble-shooting as necessary.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Be eligible to work in Canada (Alberta), and must successfully pass an extensive background check
• Fluent in spoken and written English
• Knowledge of Horticulture equipment and gutter irrigation systems
• Capable of performing routine management and able to make equipment repairs or notify proper personnel when unable to
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to lead people
• Excellent communication skills
• Proficient internet skills, including Outlook, Excel, and Word
• Proven ability to develop and manage budgets
• Ability to plan ahead, trouble-shoot, anticipate problems, and problem solving
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks at a time
• Ability to learn new technologies
• Knowledge of hydroponic growing methods, including in-depth knowledge of pH, PPM, Microbial and EC counts
• Knowledge of growing methods including micronutrients, beneficial bacteria, and nutrient implementation
• Knowledge of container systems with soil and hydro, as well as understanding temperature and humidity manipulation
• Knowledge of plant diseases, insects and fungi, as well as plant treatment options
• Preferred 10 years’ experience in growing
• Knowledge of large-scale commercial plant cultivation, including nutrient requirements, mediums, light requirements, temperature control, and air flow, etc.
• Ability to perform manual labor tasks required for the proper management of a large-scale grow greenhouse
• Horticulture Greenhouse Manager: 5 years
• Management: 5 years
• Leafy Greens Production: 5 years
Bachelor’s Degree in Agricultural Engineering or related field
Class 5 Driver’s License
Comprehensive benefits package including disability and dental insurance, extended medical benefits.
How to apply